As days grow shorter and winter evenings stretch out ever longer, the contemplative voice of a solo piano can be quite soothing. The Archive has some wonderful selections to accent tea or wine-sipping evenings spent at home:
- Michael Nyman performs two pieces from the soundtrack for “The Piano”.
- These arrangements by Charles Parker of some well-known songs are quite lovely.
- This not so frantic “Frantic Piano” is an original arrangement by an Archive member.
- Hear the premiere performance of Alan Hovhaness’ Sonata for Piano “Ananda” , Op. 303 (click part II).
- 12 etudes by the very young Chopin are performed by Cecile Licad at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.
In addition to more traditional piano music, the Archive has a number of recordings of music for toy piano performed by Len Tan and presented by Other Minds:
- An arrangement of Eleanor Rigby for toy piano.
- John Cage’s Suite for Toy Piano.
- Toby Twining’s compositions Nightmare Rag and Satie Blues combine toy with standard piano.